Apache versions supported
Magento requires Apache 2.2.x or 2.4.x.
Help if you're just starting out
If you’re new to all this and need some help getting started, we suggest the following:
- Is the Magento software installed already?
- What is the software that the Magento server needs to run?
- What operating system is my server running?
- How do I log in to my Magento server using a terminal, command prompt, or SSH?
Important: Apache rewrites and .htaccess
This topic discusses how to enable Apache 2.2 rewrites and specify a setting for the distributed configuration file,
Magento uses server rewrites and
.htaccess to provide directory-level instructions for Apache. The following instructions are included in all of the other sections in this topic as well.
Failure to enable these settings typically results in no styles displaying on your storefront or Admin.
Verify the Apache version
To verify the Apache version you’re currently running, enter:
The result displays similar to the following:
Server version: Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server built: Jul 22 2014 14:35:32
- If Apache is not installed, see:
- If Apache 2.2 is installed on Ubuntu 12 and you want to use PHP 5.6, see the next section
Installing or upgrading Apache on Ubuntu
The following sections discusses how to install or upgrade Apache:
- Install Apache
- Upgrade to Apache 2.4 on Ubuntu 12 to use PHP 5.6 or PHP 7